Saturday, March 14, 2009

The End is Near

So, I have some time to write a blog entry so here goes...

This is my final semester in college. It's been a long, horrible, five year journey. When I look back and see what I have accomplished or learned I notice a few things. Most of the things I feel proud of are not academically related in any way. In fact, I don't think I've really learned a whole lot in college. Maybe about life and all that, but most of the true learning I've done has come from experiences outside the classroom.

I've poured blood, sweat, and tears into one activity with hundreds of like minded individuals. When I think of what ever motivated me to do something so strenuous and time consuming, its hard to say. Drum corps truly was the most mentally and physically challenging thing I have ever done and to be removed from it at the age of 21 is difficult. It's been two years now since I've stepped foot on the field for a performance and I have to say I miss it. I often have dreams that I get the opportunity to march, but they are just that, dreams. The microcosm of life that is drum corps can't be summed up with words. I'm hoping that one day I can fill the void in my life with something as challenging and as rewarding as my time behind the drum.

Cycling seems to be the only thing that can occupy my mind. It certainly has been an interesting learning experience, much like drum corps was. With drum corps, you have no choice to work hard and put in the time/effort. With cycling, self discipline is everything. In order to achieve the highest level possible you must make the time to ride, eat the right foods, get your sleep, and execute your workouts...but no one is telling you to do that. You will be as fast as you are willing to be. Maybe that's why I like it. The individual is responsible for the outcome, not anyone else. Anyway, this season I've made it a point to train and race to the best of my ability. So far, it's been a tough road. My first two mountain bike races, the Mas o' Menos 100k and the Bar H Bash, haven't been the best, but I am still content and know my fitness will continue to improve. I haven't been racing very long and know that is my limiting factor, but I'm not giving up.

Enough rambling. I'm on Spring Break, but I still have to be at school. That's pretty lame if I do say so myself. My mountain bike race at Waco was also postponed this weekend, so now I have to decide whether or not I want to do a the Fayetteville Stage Race or go to Waco next weekend. Hopefully big boss man will let me have the weekend off. We'll see...till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment